8.23.2013

***Autumn Sewing - Stitch Fall 2013***



I've had an amazing summer!  Day trips around the Pacific NW, outdoor concerts and days at the outdoor pool to name a few amazing excursions!  My kids start school in less than two weeks so I thought this would be a good time to introduce my projects in Stitch Magazine's Fall 2013 issue!
I was inspired by smocking and how you can create such amazing detail with a simple method of hand stitching.  The bag is smocked across the top and has leather handles.  I also included instructions to make the removeable flower!



In keeping with the theme, I envisioned the smocking on a scarf as well and created a honeycomb smocked scarf.  This is an incredibly easy hand stitching project and so nice to work on during Autumn and Winter evenings!
 


 
This is a pic of the original sample which shows the smocking detail more clearly.
 


 
Keeping with the smocking theme of this post, I was down in my basement looking for some sewing notions and found this vintage pattern.  It looks like it is from the 1940's : )   I'm looking forward to trying some different smocking stitches!
 
 
xo
Charise

7 comments:

  1. I really like the smocking on that scarf! Neat idea Charise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative use of smocking! Both the purse and scarf are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That smocking is beautiful! Oh, and I wish I had fun things like that in my basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is all soo cute! I would love a scarf like that!
    The transfer paper is just so fantasticly fourties!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I have been wanting to try smocking and I thought it would be for my little girl but maybe I will make myself something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely! Congratulations on all of your summer successes. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that Jan does (or did, anyway)smocking? That and knitting -- including Fair Isle -- was her thing. She did some really pretty things for Kalle way back when. :) I definitely want to try smocking. I saw a really cute example on Pinterest of smocking on polka dot fabric. It creates little flowers. I think it would look adorable with some beadwork added.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!