3.10.2012

Y Seams Tutorial


In preparation for the block I will be unveiling on Monday for the Sew Out Loud Quilt along, I thought I would go ahead and post the tutorial for Y seams and give you a little sneak peek of my design!  You will need this skill to complete the block.  This tutorial is for using Y seams with a freezer paper pieced block.



1)  Iron your freezer paper template pieces to fabric, right side.  Make sure to add 1/4" seam allowance to your pattern piece.  I like to use my rotary cutter to make sure I have an accurate 1/4" seam allowance.
Your Y seam is a the intersection at the neck shoulder.  Leave your freezer paper piece on the fabric and stay stitch the seam 1/4" from the edge on your seam line.


2)  Mark the corners  1/4" in from the edge.  I like to do this with a pencil or water soluble marker.




3)  Clip into your Y seam up to the corner.  Remove both freezer paper templates for this step.

4) Line up your pieces matching the pencil mark and the intersection point that you clipped to.

5) Stitch from one edge to intersection point.  Leave your needle in the down position when you get to the intersection point.  Lift your presser foot, pivot your fabric matching edges and continue stitching to the other edge.
6) Iron your freezer paper templates back on to your block and continue with the rest of your block.

See you on Monday with a link to the pattern!!

10 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial Charise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh what a wonderful sneak peak, can't wait to see the whole thing. I must catch up on my blocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can do it, right? ;) Great tutorial and I can't wait to see the rest og your lovely block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be one cute pattern! I can feel I'm going to be desperate to make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Thank you Charise :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally bought some freezer paper so I'm ready to try Y seams! Thanks for the tute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!