3.11.2012

Design Studio - Sew Out Loud Quilt Along - Block 5

I'm so excited to share the blocks I created for the Sew Out Loud Quilt Along.
You can find the first pattern here - "Design Studio."
I am currently re-vamping the pattern.  Stay tuned for an update on availability : )

I've been an apparel designer for over 20 years and love fashion.
 I also haven't had a dedicated sewing room for quite some time now, so this block is inspired by the studio of my dreams!!  I thought this would be a fun block especially since you get to design the dress on the mannequin.

The fabrics I used in this block are listed from top to bottom, Left to Right.


1) Unknown Japanese Fabric
2) Moda Etchings
3) Suzuko Koseki Notions from Blije Olifantje
4) Blueberry Crumb Cake from Blackbird Designs from the Fat Quarter Shop 
5) Suzuko Koseki Checkered Blocks from Blije Olifantje
6) Robert Kaufman Pimatex Basics
7) Yuwa Sweet Pastries from Blije Olifantje
8) Moda Basics dot from the Fat Quarter Shop
9) Makower So Tonal (I originally got this from FQ shop, but they are sold out)
10) Folk Heart by Rosalie Quinlan from the Fat Quarter Shop
11) Sweet Shop by Michele D'Amore from the Fat Quarter Shop
12) Moda Sunkissed by Sweetwater

I would consider this block intermediate level as it has fairly small pieces. 
The piecing method is template freezer paper pieced.
All pattern pieces should be printed on freezer paper or traced onto freezer paper, dull side.
Your pieces will then be ironed to the Right Side of your fabric.
Kerry has a great tutorial here.

This block requires a few Y seams and you can find my tutorial for Y seams here.

The "custom-made Dressmaker" sign is from a Japanese fabric I've had in my stash for quite some time.
You can also use stamps to create your own custom sign. 
I've included in the pattern, on the last page, a few different options for signs you can print yourself.
They can be printed on to Sew-In Fabric sheets you can find at your local quilt shop.  I found mine at JoAnn's.  Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions and heat set your fabric.
I used this method to create the Lait and Cafe labels in the block here:


The second block you can find here -  "Vintage Sewing Machine and Notions." 
I am currently re-vamping the pattern.  Stay tuned for an update on availability : )

You can find the pattern HERE!


Fabrics used for this block are listed from top to bottom, Left to Right:
1) Denyse Schmidt Flea Market Fancy
2) Denyse Schmidt Flea Market Fancy
3) Sweet Shop by Michele D'Amore from the Fat Quarter Shop
4) Robert Kaufman Pimatex Basics
5) Suzuko Koseki Vintage Sewing from Blije Olifantje
6) Kumiko Fujita print from Ayumills
7) Suzuko Koseki Vintage Notions from Blije Olifantje 

Fat Quarter Shop generously donated fabric to the designers for this Quilt Along!
Thank you so much FQ shop.  They have wonderful fabrics and an incredible selection!
You should also check out Ayumills  and Blije Olifantje for wonderful Japanese fabrics.


***Happy Sewing***






47 comments:

  1. I love all your versions! It's so great that you share with us two your wonderful patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work on both versions Charise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just unbelievable. I got my fabrics from Blije Olifantje
    just last week, so I can start trying some of your fantastic blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me while I close my mouth ;-) It is so adorable and than you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you have two version! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for two wonderful patterns! both amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe -- how big are these blocks? How do you manage to get such precison and detail? It's more than that, though -- your blocks have an illustrative quality to them, kind of like Eric Carle's children's books. They tell a story, or beg the viewer to create a story to go along with them. I LOVE those darling sewing machines with the fabric cascading down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I just love your work! they all are so beautiful, very precis, and the fabric choices so perfect.
    I downloaded both patterns, I will start first with the simpler one...
    thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the cutest block I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This block is absolutely beautiful! I think it might be my favorite paper patchwork yet-- just Love the draping of the pink fabric....I just posted this comment on Shape Moth's blog, cause I love it so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice work and you share the patterns too! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this block whilst surfing earlier today - it's amazing - oh how I want to try my hand at creating some inspiring PP'd blocks like this - well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful Charise. I just love to stare at this block.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible, the gorgeous details in this block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing them. Although I'm not participating in the quilt along I think I just need to try at least the second block.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just so amazing, Charise! It might be one of my favorites among everything you've made!Just so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely! You are quite the talented designer (and make me want to see the apparel you've designed/made!) I love how "Made in England" is partially peeking out... I sometimes have ideas for such, but have learned that execution is a whole 'nother story! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are wonderful blocks and I cannot wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been sipping wine to build up the courage to attempt this and already I'm stumped! I'm trying to figure out where the H blocks go in the design! Not a great start is it! And really, I haven't had THAT much wine! Hope you can lead me in the right direction Charise!
    Oh, and is it possible to foundation piece the sewing machine and then freezer paper the dress etc? Would they join together properly? I haven't freezer papered before, can you tell? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Literally, 30 seconds after I wrote the above question, I found where to put Part H! Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This block is just stunning, amazing, fabulous. I really cannot find the proper words for it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of these blocks are so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing them. I am going to try the easier one and see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your work is stunning. Thank you for sharing and I really enjoy reading your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful blocks! I am still intimidated by paper piecing, but will have to try it soon - I can see I am missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Your block is just gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just came from Martingale Books where one of the comments mentioned your site. (Martingale have republished a book on Foundation Paper Piecing.) So just a glimpse at your work makes me so envious, just want to twitch my nose Samantha in Bewitched style to have these amazing blocks. Thank you for showing me (and I didn't) grab the name of the blogger who introduced me to you. with best wishes and hopefully find where I can sign up to see more of your work..........

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just used this pattern to make my friend a bag. This was my second paper piecing. I got frustrated at first but then thought about it and finished it! I just used the sewing machine and left off the material and little jar. It came out better than I expected! Thank you! If I had a blog I would post the pic. I'm not sure how to do it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can not access the free patterns. It takes me to a Google site to sign up. Can you help? I love the patter for the vintage sewing machine. So sweet and great workl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to send you the pattern. Please email me with your address.
      Tks!
      Charise

      Delete
  29. Hey Charise! I have a question about this pattern which by the way is beautiful!! I am in the process of paper piecing the sewing machine and I did the spool and C section, but how do you do the D section? Do you have to cut apart the pieces and then sew them back together? I just am confused about how to make it w/out the raw edges showing.

    I hope this makes sense...

    Lyanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with the same doubt =s I'm trying to make this pattern for my sewing machine cover, it's a fabulous block! But I cant figure out how to sew part C and part D using the same piece of paper. :)

      Delete
  30. charise ,I love your patterns ,I am working on your dress pattern ,
    how do you do the pieces labled b6,and b7?
    you can email me at mj.schultz@comcast.net
    thank you mj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pieces are Y seams. You can find a tutorial on my blog here:
      http://charisecreates.blogspot.com/2012/03/y-seams-tutorial.html
      : )

      Delete
  31. Hi - I have included a sheet that will help you put the pieces togethe for the sewing machine.
    You can find it here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61774120/Vintage.sewing.machine.Errata.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you are really talented! Beautiful and creative work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A small, newish group to Flikr would like to use this block as our August Challenge. We will link back to this post for credit. Is this ok?
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/2845212@N23

    its not a swap group - we just start a mini block at the beginning of the month and "Ta Dah!!" at the end on the month. If you want to miss a month - that's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I came across your pattern via http://lrstitched.com/2012/07/16/paper-pieced-mini-quilt/
    We are a small group of ladies who challenge ourselves to make a mini quilt each month and would like to use this design. We link the pattern and any posts on Flickr or our personal blogs back to the source. Hope that this will be ok with you.
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/2845212@N23/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Any idea when this pattern will be revamped? I'm challenging myself to the Sew Out Loud QAL. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Are you going to re-vamp this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh I've just found this today! Would love an email or something about when the revamped pattern is finished! Thanks so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Updated pattern can be found in my Etsy shop HERE:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChariseCreates?ref=hdr_shop_menu

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, I would like to purchase your block 5 , sing out loud, the old version please.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    ผลิตผ้ากันเปื้อน

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love to read your comments - they make my day!!